F-4J of VF-92 10 May 1972
Step 1 - Taking the TD late model Phantom as a base for this model (it is one of the better F-4 mouldings from these guys (but way better than anything I could do myself)).
Step 2 - Undercoat and base as normal, follow with a dark wash to pick up the panel lines and then finally go over with the fuselage colour and insignia white control surfaces and undersides. THEN as we are adding coloured decals (on clear decal film) the fin needs to be really lighted at the base to allow the yellow to show properly (white).
Step 3 - Re-black the cockpit and air intakes. Then add the cockpit detail.
For this aircraft I also added yellow on the wing tips and the top of the fin. The VF-92 aircraft have a black outline around the cockpit. I have tried both freehand in the past (VF-151 and VF-111 F-4s). This one used a decal as it was black.
Step 4 - National Insignia. I always put this on first as it means that the aircraft start taking on persona of the real aircraft. This F-4J has the Dom Decals small national insignia either side of the rear cockpit on the air intakes. I have gone a size up on the TOP left wing and BOTTOM right wing (I don't normally both with the underside markings) based on photos for this particular aircraft.
Step 5 - The VF-92 aircraft has NG as a tailcode split with a chess piece. This sat above a yellow dart shape. The whole decal had been made up on clear decal paper so the yellow needs a white base to show up. The black will come out on anything.
Step 6 - I added 7269 as the Bureau for this aircraft again made up decals printed at the same time as the tail codes.
Step 7 - Added NAVY in black using home made decals. I can't find the recent pack of NAVY that Dom sent me Oh well.
Step 8 - Added the Modex Numbers 211 under the cockpit on both sides. Modex numbers were done using font size 4. Red traingles added to the cockpit sides for both Pilot and RIO. The Modex number on the real aircraft has a yellow shadow but that was a bit to fiddly to add.
Step 9 - The One Below: Fixing the errors and bits missing you will have picked up in the one above.
|A simple 1967 RF-8 Crusader.|
|Step 1 - Clean up the model. The Tumbling Dice model has the sidewinder/Zuni mounts just under the cockpit on both side. This needs cleaning up with a file.|
|Step 2 - Undercoat and base coat as normal, follow with a dark wash to pick up the panel lines and then finally go over with the fuselage colour and insignia white control surfaces and undersides.|
|Step 3 - Re-black the cockpit and air intakes. Then add the cockpit detail.|
|Step 4 - National Insignia. I always put this on first as it means that the aircraft start taking on persona of the real aircraft. The RF-8 has the Dom Decals small national insignia either side of the cockpit, TOP left wing and BOTTOM right wing (I don't normally both with the underside markings).|
|Step 5 - Tailcodes. I chose to use the PP used by VFP-63 on USS Hancock. Simply because it is a simple "normal" PP (and I had the BuNo and Modex assignments). These were done on a word processor using font size 7 (which is approxmitely 36").|
|Step 6 - Bureau Numbers were added again same font but this time down at size 2.5 (about 12") on both sides|
|Step 7 - Added NAVY in black I have done some of my own for the more awkward TD aircraft where Dom's won't fit without hacking apart.|
|Step 8 - Added the Modex Numbers under the cockpit on both
sides. Modex numbers were done using font size 4. Red triangles added to the
Step 9 - Fixing the errors and bits missing.
Second models are always easier. A Black Falcons (VF-96) F-4J. Dropped the triangles but put the jet intake strakes on instead.
Time to put this one into the varnish and then just some testors dullcote from the nice people at Antenociti's workshop so will give it a blast with that when it arrives (gives the varnish some time to harden as well). Panic over then the dullcote works and the two F-4s ready to go tableside.
The beauty with downtown is that all aircraft represent flights so I can "do" individual markings for all my aircraft and not feel too guilty or I can run them all from the same squadron. The choice is limited by the ink in the printer and time to research.
Part of the work to do a set of decals for USS Oriskany meant that I could get around to the proper fighter of the Vietnam war, the Crusader. VF-111 were one of the unique (if not the unique squadron) in that they had MiG kills with both the F-8 and the F-4. I had alread done a Sundowner F-4 when first getting into this scale so I was itching to get my hands on the F-8s. The tail art is a lot more reserved than later which was good as it took a while (and still needs updating as we go).
As usual this simple foray led to more and more work and I have now done a test set for VF-111, VF-162, VA-163, VA-164 and VFP-63. I haven't done any of the support aircraft yet.
I have now just finished the last of the 6 aircraft for the Constellation Air Group which took longer than I expected because I got diverted off to playing Ambush Alley. These F-4Js will go off for a game next Monday and the Cheltenham Warchiefs club for a game of Thud Ridge. These new ones have new proper length fuselage stripes (they are shorter). By doing so I have been able to add the Squadron identifier which was missing from the first two. For some reason I put 3 digit numbers on the elevators by mistake but only noticed after varnishing, oh well....Anyway TLAR and on to the table with these. Attack aircraft here I come.
Moving off Vietnam for a little experiment I bought a pair of F-14 for a 1975 what if scenario. I have now done one of them (in the process of doing the second one) for TOPGUN. Only a little bit of fun.