Friday, 28 April 2017

BG Kursk - Sdkfz 251/3 Ausf C update

A little bit of progress.

2.0m and 1.4m rod antennas added and preshading for the base coat added for the hull.  Need to do the road wheels and then get on with this once the Sternantenna parts arrive



Monday, 17 April 2017

BG Kursk - Sdkfz 251/3C

I wanted a Sdkfz 251/3C variant for BG Kursk but without the frame antenna.  I looked across a number of sprues for ideas and components.

The Sdkfz 250 Alte kit didn't throw anything up but did have the smaller seat set for the crew compartment.



The PSC 251 would be the base model but would need a bit of work.


The Sdkfz 251/D Model conversion sprue threw up small seats and a radio set.

Which I trimmed down from the surrounding plastic

 The 251 had the right hand side locating lugs removed and I shaved down the locator pin from the rear hull floor.

Seat locators were cut off

 Tried a a couple of ideas out using Bluetac to hold things in place


Made up storage boxes using strip styrene

 Added in the seat from the 251/9D and cut a box down to size. Trimmed off the rear mg bracket

steel wire frame shaped with pliers

Check for fit

 Filled in the rear bracket hole and ready for the undercoat.  I haven't done the external antennas yet and any crew will obscure the lower part of the radio mount

Sunday, 16 April 2017

BG Kursk - Glue !

Bought two bottles of micro weld from Antics yesterday so have been able to crack on this morning with a couple of sprues

Add the other two Sdkfz 233 needed for the Kursk campaign.
Added two Sdkfz 231 for the same campaign (the books says 232 but I have one of those done already and the Heavy Armoured car sections operated in pairs so thought that more 231 would be more realistic.
Added a Sdkfz 263. It isn't used in the campaign game but I needed one for my BG Kursk forces. I couldn't see how the frame went and now I have looked at some photos I am none the wiser really.  Photos of real vehicles have the support legs at more of an angle but the PSC model has them vertical.  Luckily I have lots of spare sprues for these so I am looking at how to make a swappable top hull from the remaining ones I have so might try something different.

Added a couple of pieces from the stowage set to break them up a bit.  If I am very lucky I might get these under the airbrush tomorrow.  (along with anything else I manage to stick together this afternoon)


For the existing 251/1 that I did on friday I just added a MG42 as the PSC 251/1C kit only has a MG34 variant.

Saturday, 15 April 2017

BG Kursk - Sdkfz 251/1B

My old 251/10 was based on a B model. With the new 251/10s being made up from proper C models, I stripped the old model down and turned it back into a 251/1.  The forward MG Mount was then blended in using thin washes of VJ Middelstone over Black Primer.