Tuesday 19 January 2021

1/700th Age of Sail - Brig

 Wading through my stash of kits I found the Warlord Games "Frigates and Brigs".  Two frigates and four brigs.  I have the odd set of rules and I couldn't face the pile of 15mm Austrians I have to do so spent a day throwing one together and then looking at what I can do to improve the speed and/or look

First of the Brigs. Kit goes together very quickly. I painted this once I assembled the hull but for future ones I will paint as much on the sprue as possible.  White undercoat and then:

  • VJ Old Wood.
  • VJ Black Grey
  • MiG Golden Yellow
  • Army Painter Soft Tone - Over everything
  • Army Painter Dark Tone - Just over the black.
  • MiG Red
  • VJ Flat Yellow Highlight (which is quite bright!)


Masts were painted and superglued in place

rigging added

Getting close to finished. This is 90% complete as I haven't put the ratlines on yet.





The second Brig has been started. I airbrushed as much as I could on the sprue (this is the frigate but you can see the idea)



Deck was painted separately and then fitted

Waiting for the next stage to be done which will be the cannon barrels and then the washes.




3 comments:

  1. Looks great!

    I've a few boxes of ships on their way too me, but I am not at all happy with how Warlord did the ratlines on printed acetate. Unfortunately, brass ratlines are far too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ratlines is the one thing I haven't tried to look at yet. The warlord ones need you to do some trimming on both the lines and the model if you decide to do any rigging. So there might be another solution.

      Delete
  2. So pretty. Appreciate the how-to.

    ReplyDelete