Monday 20 July 2020

Crete - Objective Markers Part 1 - Airborne Assault

For the Airborne Assault scenario in the Tobruk supplement you need four supply canisters to act as your objective markers. Assuming they haven't been captured then you could assume they should still be attached to parachutes and closed.  So....

Having access to the schematics made it easy to quickly make up these simple replicas on TinkerCAD.  I have made an error on the one on the left which should have six spokes. I will fix that tomorrow but for the time being I have just printed off four of each.

The containers can then be matched to the canopies.  I found a set on Thingiverse which are for 28mm(1/56) so I scaled them down and made these 45mm.  The real ones would scale at 66mm but as these are billowing I made them a little narrower.  They are allied canopies but will suffice until I find another solution.



The rigging lines are 8.5m long or 8.5cm ( I so like 1/100th as modelling scale for scratch building) and I will use white thread.  I will need 10 rigging strands per parachute.

I am toying with a couple of ideas, one of which is to leave the canopy and lines separate from the container so I can re-use these for Market Garden.

Colour wise

Food and Supplies - White
Medical Supplies - Yellow
Weapons and Ammo - Green

Other Colours/Variations
Officers - White capped (if camouflaged)
Officers - White capped (Black)
RZ-20 Parachute - Camouflaged

No comments:

Post a Comment